Bhopal gas tragedy: MP seeks panel to decide on waste disposal
New Delhi: The Madhya Pradesh government today suggested composition of a sub-committee to decide on safe disposal of 346 tonnes of toxic waste from the Bhopal gas disaster site.
During a meeting of Group of Ministers (GoM) here, MP Gas Relief and Rehabilitation Minister Babulal Gaur said the waste samples are also being examined by a Gurgaon-based firm to ascertain the level of toxic and other harmful material, if any, in it.
During the meeting, which came a month after a German firm refused to remove the waste from Bhopal, Gaur said a sub-committee should be formed to find out possibility of treating waste in one of the 22 treatment facilities across the country, a Madhya Pradesh government statement said.
However, officials said, no decision on constituting a sub-panel was taken during the meet.
Gaur said the state government will put its point of view in this regard before the Supreme Court, which had in August asked both the Centre and Madhya Pradesh government to dispose the waste within six months.
Germany`s GIZ IS refused to remove the toxic waste after negotiations between the Centre and the company had collapsed following an uproar from the civil society in Germany.
The firm had also written a letter to Finance Minister P Chidambaram, who heads the GoM, to inform him about its decision.
About 346 MT toxic waste is lying within the premises of the erstwhile Union Carbide India Ltd at Bhopal. The worst-ever industrial disaster had taken place at the Union Carbide plant on the intervening night of December 2-3, 1984.
According to government data, over Rs 3,000 crore has been given as compensation in 5,295 cases of death, 4,902 cases of permanent disability, 5,27,894 cases of minor injury and 35,455 cases related to temporary disability due to the tragedy among others.
Other members of the GoM who attended the meeting included Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan, Law Minister Salman Khurshid and Human Resources Development Minister Kapil Sibal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams