Bhopal gas tragedy: SC notice to Centre
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought response from the Centre on a plea seeking transfer of the corpus of the erstwhile Bhopal Memorial Hospital Trust to it.
The trust was set up to look after the victims of the 1984 gas tragedy.
A Bench headed by Chief Justice SH Kapadia issued notice to the Centre and asked it to respond within four weeks to the plea made by KK Dewan, secretary of the trust, for transfer of the fund.
The application in this regard was made giving reference of the apex court`s July 19, 2010 order which allowed the Centre to take over the management of the hospital.
During the hearing, the bench asked the Centre and the members of the trust to sit together and discuss the modalities of transferring the funds.
The court said it would not like a situation when the fixed deposits have to be broken.
The court on July 10, 2010 had accepted the resignation of former Chief Justice of India AM Ahmadi as the chairman of the trust and allowed the Centre to take over its management.
The court had allowed the Centre to take steps to wind up the trust and run the hospital looking after the victims of the tragedy.
Justice Ahmadi was appointed as chairman of the trust on May 15, 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday