Bhopal gas tragedy: SC notice to Centre
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday sought response from the Centre on a plea seeking transfer of the corpus of the erstwhile Bhopal Memorial Hospital Trust to it.
The trust was set up to look after the victims of the 1984 gas tragedy.
A Bench headed by Chief Justice SH Kapadia issued notice to the Centre and asked it to respond within four weeks to the plea made by KK Dewan, secretary of the trust, for transfer of the fund.
The application in this regard was made giving reference of the apex court`s July 19, 2010 order which allowed the Centre to take over the management of the hospital.
During the hearing, the bench asked the Centre and the members of the trust to sit together and discuss the modalities of transferring the funds.
The court said it would not like a situation when the fixed deposits have to be broken.
The court on July 10, 2010 had accepted the resignation of former Chief Justice of India AM Ahmadi as the chairman of the trust and allowed the Centre to take over its management.
The court had allowed the Centre to take steps to wind up the trust and run the hospital looking after the victims of the tragedy.
Justice Ahmadi was appointed as chairman of the trust on May 15, 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened