Bhopal tragedy: Court orders issuance of summons to Dow Chemicals
Bhopal: A district court on Tuesday directed authorities concerned to send summons to the US-based Dow Chemicals, making it an accused in the Bhopal gas tragedy case.
The move comes almost eight months after Madhya Pradesh High Court lifted its stay on the previous order on the same.
Dow Chemicals is the owner of Union Carbide Corporation.
The directive to issue summons came from Chief Judicial Magistrate Sanjay Pande in the light of a high court judgement last year.
Last year`s ruling had come on petitions filed by CBI and NGOs fighting on behalf of the victims of one of the world`s biggest industrial disasters.
The summons should be sent along with the copy of that judgement, the court said.
The court also directed CBI to inform it about the action taken by the agency in this regard and fixed August 21 as the date of next hearing in the case.
The district court had ordered issuance of summons against Dow Chemicals on January 6, 2005, but the order was stayed by the high court before it lifted the same in October 2012.
UCIL was 51 per cent owned by Union Carbide Corporation (UCC), which has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of Dow Chemicals since 2001. The rest of the stock in UCIL had then been held by Indian investors.
The Bhopal disaster was a gas leak incident which occurred on the intervening night of December 2?3, 1984, at the pesticide plant of Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL), killing thousands and maiming scores of people.
"The decision is a significant step towards establishing the criminal liability of Union Carbide," NGOs said reacting to the order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks