BJP, Cong in war of words over wheat procurement
Bhopal: The ruling BJP and Opposition Congress in Madhya Pradesh are engaged in a war of words over the procurement of wheat during this season.
While the BJP government is claiming credit for record procurement of wheat, the Congress has charged it with irregularities in the matter.
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh, also the former chief minister of the state, has written to the Centre asking for a probe into the manner in which wheat was purchased.
The probe should find out if wheat meant for the Public Distribution System had also been purchased by the state government, Singh said.
Leader of Opposition in Madhya Pradesh Assembly, Ajay Singh, has charged the state government with making false claims about various issues related to wheat purchase.
The farmers had managed a record production of wheat although the state government had not been able to provide them with adequate electricity, seeds and irrigation facilities, Ajay said.
The state government had lied on the issue of gunny bags used for wheat purchase, he alleged.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said the Congress was insulting the labour put in by farmers to have a record production of wheat.
The Congress first tried to create obstacles in the way of wheat purchase and later even planned to launch an agitation on the issue, Chouhan said.
"When it failed to launch the agitation, the Congress started saying that there were a number of irregularities in wheat purchase in the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda