BJP demands CBI probe into farm loan waiver scheme `scam`
Bhopal: BJP on Sunday demanded a CBI probe into the alleged scam in the Centre`s 2008 loan waiver scheme for farmers, citing irregularities found by CAG.
"According to the Comptroller and Auditor General`s report, gross irregularities took place in the Centre`s loan waiver scheme under which, loans worth Rs 60,000 crore were waived," BJP President Rajnath Singh said, addressing a Kisan Mahapanchayat organised by the Madhya Pradesh Agriculture Department here.
"Under the scheme, agricultural loans of over 3.5 crore farmers were waived. But according to the CAG, which has audited nearly 90,000 accounts, many farmers did not receive the benefits. It points to gross irregularities," Rajnath said, demanding the probe.
His party had also demanded that the CAG report be tabled in Parliament, he said.
The Agriculture Debt Waiver and Debt Relief Scheme was announced by the Government in 2008.
Hitting out at the Centre`s decision to introduce FDI in retail trade, Rajnath said, it was against the national interests, especially of the farmers, and the Prime Minister must roll back the decision.
"If they do not, then the BJP, after coming to power at the Centre, will reverse it."
The BJP president also demanded that the ambit of the
MNREGA scheme be widened to cover agricultural works, to address the problem of shortage of farm labourers.
Referring to the direct cash benefit transfer scheme, Rajnath said, bank accounts should be opened in the name of every farmer, rich or poor.
The BJP president also demanded pro-farmer actions like waiver of tax on tractors and other agriculture equipment, opening of seed bank in all districts of the country, encouragement to organic farming and insurance of crop on the basis of estimated output before sowing.
He also said, the BJP will oppose the hike in diesel prices.
He also lauded Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan for maintaining "emotional relations" with farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured