BJP demands CBI probe into farm loan waiver scheme `scam`
Bhopal: BJP on Sunday demanded a CBI probe into the alleged scam in the Centre`s 2008 loan waiver scheme for farmers, citing irregularities found by CAG.
"According to the Comptroller and Auditor General`s report, gross irregularities took place in the Centre`s loan waiver scheme under which, loans worth Rs 60,000 crore were waived," BJP President Rajnath Singh said, addressing a Kisan Mahapanchayat organised by the Madhya Pradesh Agriculture Department here.
"Under the scheme, agricultural loans of over 3.5 crore farmers were waived. But according to the CAG, which has audited nearly 90,000 accounts, many farmers did not receive the benefits. It points to gross irregularities," Rajnath said, demanding the probe.
His party had also demanded that the CAG report be tabled in Parliament, he said.
The Agriculture Debt Waiver and Debt Relief Scheme was announced by the Government in 2008.
Hitting out at the Centre`s decision to introduce FDI in retail trade, Rajnath said, it was against the national interests, especially of the farmers, and the Prime Minister must roll back the decision.
"If they do not, then the BJP, after coming to power at the Centre, will reverse it."
The BJP president also demanded that the ambit of the
MNREGA scheme be widened to cover agricultural works, to address the problem of shortage of farm labourers.
Referring to the direct cash benefit transfer scheme, Rajnath said, bank accounts should be opened in the name of every farmer, rich or poor.
The BJP president also demanded pro-farmer actions like waiver of tax on tractors and other agriculture equipment, opening of seed bank in all districts of the country, encouragement to organic farming and insurance of crop on the basis of estimated output before sowing.
He also said, the BJP will oppose the hike in diesel prices.
He also lauded Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan for maintaining "emotional relations" with farmers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan