BJP minister in soup over `sexist` remarks, Cong demands his sacking
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Tribal and Scheduled Caste Welfare Minister Vijay Shah has courted a major controversy over his alleged `sexist remarks`, leaving ruling BJP red faced even as Congress took to streets demanding his removal.
The remarks were made by Shah while addressing a function in tribal-dominated Jhabua district two days ago.
What raised the hackles of BJP was a passing reference Shah allegedly made about the wife of Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan during his speech.
"The party has taken the issue seriously and it is totally unacceptable to it. We have asked him (Shah) to clarify his position on the matter today itself", state unit BJP president Narendra Singh Tomar told reporters here on Tuesday.
Tomar said the minister was taking time to visit the party leadership on the issue since his mother-in-law is serious.
However, Shah has already tendered an apology, accusing the media of "misconstruing" his remarks by takingthem out of context.
"If anyone felt offended by my speech, I apologise ten times. Whatever I said was in a lighter vein but it was distorted by the media", he said.
However, Shah`s apology failed to cool the tempers with opposition Congress taking to streets against his "derogatory" remarks.
The women wing of state Congress burnt his effigies at Jhabua, Indore, Bhopal and Khandwa among other places even as the State Women Congress president Archana Jaiswal demanded immediate sacking of the minister and also questioned the "silence" of leaders of BJP women wing on the issue.
State Congress president Kantilal Bhuria and the Leader of Opposition Ajay Singh said "the episode has exposed Chouhan`s much publicised respect for women".
"If he (Chouhan) has any concern for women`s respect, then he should immediately dismiss the minister from the cabinet", they said addressing a party rally in Mandla district.
Efforts to contact Shah over phone proved futile.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know