BJP MLA joins Congress ahead of Madhya Pradesh polls
Bhopal: In a setback to the ruling BJP in Madhya Pradesh ahead of the Assembly polls next month, a party MLA on Thursday joined the Congress along with his 17 supporters.
Devendra Patel, MLA from Silwani in Madhya Pradesh`s Raisen district, told reporters that he had contested on Bharatiya Janashakti Party ticket in 2008, and after the party`s founder Uma Bharti joined BJP, the party merged with BJP.
Patel said that he was being "ignored by BJP on almost every issue" and because of this he was forced to leave the party.
He also said that he left BJP as he had been inspired by policies and thinking of leaders like Pt Jawaharlal Nehru and Sardar Patel.
To a question, he said it is not necessary for him to contest from Silwani on a Congress ticket.
He would work for the Congress even if the party did not give him a ticket for next month`s Assembly elections, Patel said.
Those who joined the Congress along with Patel included local leaders belonging to the Lodhi community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Your travel cost to go down by 40% with India's first ever CNG two wheelers
- Lionel Messi announces international retirement after Copa America loss vs Chile
- Big fat royal wedding in Mysore, King Yaduveer Wadiyar ties the knot with Rajasthan royalty
- LeEco Le Max 2: Aiming to outshine rivals with powerful hardware, CDLA technology
- WATCH: How Lionel Messi missed crucial penalty kick in Copa America final against Chile