BJP MLA joins Congress ahead of Madhya Pradesh polls
Bhopal: In a setback to the ruling BJP in Madhya Pradesh ahead of the Assembly polls next month, a party MLA on Thursday joined the Congress along with his 17 supporters.
Devendra Patel, MLA from Silwani in Madhya Pradesh`s Raisen district, told reporters that he had contested on Bharatiya Janashakti Party ticket in 2008, and after the party`s founder Uma Bharti joined BJP, the party merged with BJP.
Patel said that he was being "ignored by BJP on almost every issue" and because of this he was forced to leave the party.
He also said that he left BJP as he had been inspired by policies and thinking of leaders like Pt Jawaharlal Nehru and Sardar Patel.
To a question, he said it is not necessary for him to contest from Silwani on a Congress ticket.
He would work for the Congress even if the party did not give him a ticket for next month`s Assembly elections, Patel said.
Those who joined the Congress along with Patel included local leaders belonging to the Lodhi community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Photo alert! Latest pic of Twinkle Khanna with daughter Nitara will surely make you go aww
- Will drag Preeti Menon to court: Maharastra minister Eknath Khadse on 'links' with Dawood
- Handsomeness! Randeep Hooda and Dino Morea party looking debonair-- See pics
- PM Modi calls for protection of environment on 'Mann Ki Baat'
- At least 13 dead in Vietnam bus smash