BJP MLA Sitasharan Sharma appointed as Speaker of MP Assembly
Bhopal: Senior BJP legislator Sitasharan Sharma was on Thursday unanimously elected as the Speaker of Madhya Pradesh Assembly.
The proposal to elect Sharma, who represents Hoshangabad seat, was moved by Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan and seconded by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Dr Narottam Mishra.
From the Opposition bench, the proposal was supported by senior Congress MLAs, Mahendra Singh, Satyaprakash Sakhwar, Dr Govind Singh, newly-nominated Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader Satyadev Katare, besides Independent MLA Kal Singh Bhabar.
Sharma`s appointment was announced later by pro-tem Speaker K D Deshmukh.
After the announcement, Chouhan and other senior leaders accompanied Sharma to the Speaker`s Chair as per the convention.
Congratulating Sharma for becoming Speaker, Chouhan said it was important for the Chair to act in an impartial manner.
Katare also greeted Sharma on the occasion and urged him to ensure that at least 75 sittings of the House take place in a year so that Opposition gets ample opportunity to raise issues of public interest on the floor.
Expressing his gratitude, Sharma assured the House that he will not only protect rights of its members but also ensure that it will function as per the rules and traditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Eurozone business activity strong despite Brexit: Survey
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic