BJP MP seeks mercy killing over inflation
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Prabhat Jha on Monday wrote a four-page letter to President Pratibha Patil, seeking "mercy killing" over the rapid rise of inflation and corruption in the country.
In his letter, the 54-year-old Rajya Sabha member says that rampant corruption and inflation have brought the common man of this country to the verge of death, "so it is better that a representative die earlier than to see its people die".
"You are the mother of the 115 crore people of India and you are also my mother. You must be in pain too over the inflation," the letter reads.
The opposition Congress called it a "political stunt".
"I think Prabhat Jha has some differences with party leaders in Madhya Pradesh so he has taken such a decision. Else, if it would have been because of inflation, then he should first talk to his own government (in the state) to reduce taxes like Mamata Banerjee has done (in West Bengal) and the Congress government is doing in its states," said Madhya Pradesh Congress chief Kantilal Bhuria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert