BJP MP seeks mercy killing over inflation
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Prabhat Jha on Monday wrote a four-page letter to President Pratibha Patil, seeking "mercy killing" over the rapid rise of inflation and corruption in the country.
In his letter, the 54-year-old Rajya Sabha member says that rampant corruption and inflation have brought the common man of this country to the verge of death, "so it is better that a representative die earlier than to see its people die".
"You are the mother of the 115 crore people of India and you are also my mother. You must be in pain too over the inflation," the letter reads.
The opposition Congress called it a "political stunt".
"I think Prabhat Jha has some differences with party leaders in Madhya Pradesh so he has taken such a decision. Else, if it would have been because of inflation, then he should first talk to his own government (in the state) to reduce taxes like Mamata Banerjee has done (in West Bengal) and the Congress government is doing in its states," said Madhya Pradesh Congress chief Kantilal Bhuria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway