BJP MP seeks mercy killing over inflation
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief Prabhat Jha on Monday wrote a four-page letter to President Pratibha Patil, seeking "mercy killing" over the rapid rise of inflation and corruption in the country.
In his letter, the 54-year-old Rajya Sabha member says that rampant corruption and inflation have brought the common man of this country to the verge of death, "so it is better that a representative die earlier than to see its people die".
"You are the mother of the 115 crore people of India and you are also my mother. You must be in pain too over the inflation," the letter reads.
The opposition Congress called it a "political stunt".
"I think Prabhat Jha has some differences with party leaders in Madhya Pradesh so he has taken such a decision. Else, if it would have been because of inflation, then he should first talk to his own government (in the state) to reduce taxes like Mamata Banerjee has done (in West Bengal) and the Congress government is doing in its states," said Madhya Pradesh Congress chief Kantilal Bhuria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series