BJP to set a record if it scores hat-trick in MP polls
Bhopal: The BJP government in Madhya Pradesh would create a record if it wins the Assembly polls to be held on Monday as no government has lasted for more than 10 years in the state so far.
Before Shivraj Singh Chouhan became chief minister in 2005, the previous Congress government, headed by Chief Minister Digvijay, held office for two terms from 1993 to 2003.
Madhya Pradesh was divided in 2000 when the new state of Chhattisgarh was carved out of it. In the undivided MP, no non-Congress government had occupied office for a full five-year term, but this record was broken by the BJP after its won the 2003 Assembly polls.
Later, the saffron party went on to win the next Assembly elections also in 2008.
Chouhan has exuded confidence of scoring a hat-trick this time in the state.
The elections this time have been preceded by intense campaign by national leaders of both parties.
During polling tomorrow, 4,64,57,724 voters will exercise their franchise at 53,896 polling booths across 230 constituencies spread in 51 districts where 2,583 candidates are in the fray.
The BJP hopes to cash in on the development work that it says was carried out since it came to office in 2003, a claim countered by the state Opposition Congress.
Congress leaders have alleged that under the BJP rule, corruption has reached "unheard-of-heights" and the condition of the common man is not good.
They have also claimed that the law and order situation has deteriorated in the state with an increase in crimes, including those against women, witnessed during BJP`s rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Special panel on India's NSG membership bid? We're not aware, says China
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks
- Three new suicide attacks in Lebanon village near Syria
- Preparing for Brexit, Britain may see new PM by early September