BJP`s Shilpi trounces Cong candidate to become Sagar Mayor
Sagar: BJP on Wednesday defeated Congress in a by-election held for the post of Mayor of Sagar city in the Bundelkhand region.
BJP`s Pushpa Shilpi won the by-poll by a huge margin of over 24,000 votes trouncing Indu Choudhary of Congress.
In the bipolar fight, Shilpi secured 41,341 votes whereas Choudhary could gather 16,721 votes. The bypoll was necessitated as the district court had nullified the election of Kamla Kinnar, a eunuch, for the Mayor`s post in December 2011.
Kamla had won the mayoral elections as an Independent in December 2009. However, the opponents challenged the election on the ground that the post was reserved for the SC community woman and Kamla had failed to prove her caste credentials as well as sher gender.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan