CBI files chargesheet in Pardhi eviction case
Jabalpur (MP): The CBI has filed chargesheet
against two former MLAs and 80 others in connection with the
2007 Betul riots in which members of Pardhi nomadic community
were allegedly evicted from the area by locals.
CBI has charged the then Samajawadi Party MLA from
Multai, Sunilam, and the then Congress MLA from Mansod,
Sukhdev Panse, along with 80 others under IPC sections related
to arson, rioting, theft, trespass and demolition at Chauthia
village in Betul district of Madhya Pradesh.
The CBI has registered the case on August 21, 2009 on the
orders of the Madhya Pradesh High Court to investigate the
incident of arson and demolition, which took place at Pardhidhana on September 11, 2007.
In its investigation, the CBI found that 11 families who
migrated from Maharashtra in 1995-96, got land `patta` by gram
panchayat of Chauthia. These families also got houses Indira
A CBI spokesperson said the resentment of certain locals
and another community against these families grew and a lady
of Sandia village belonging to another caste was allegedly
raped and murdered on September 9, 2007.
"After this incident both the communities became violent
and compelled local administration to evict the families out
of Pardhidhana on which the local administration assured that
unauthorised inhabitants would be removed," she said.
According to the spokesperson, during demolition and
arson, the MLAs from Masod and Multai reached the spot.
"They addressed the crowd and allegedly instigated the
villagers. The crowd got further charged and again indulged in
the act of arson. During incidents, some of members of
unlawful assembly participated in rioting with deadly
weapons," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands