CBI files chargesheet in Pardhi eviction case
Jabalpur (MP): The CBI has filed chargesheet
against two former MLAs and 80 others in connection with the
2007 Betul riots in which members of Pardhi nomadic community
were allegedly evicted from the area by locals.
CBI has charged the then Samajawadi Party MLA from
Multai, Sunilam, and the then Congress MLA from Mansod,
Sukhdev Panse, along with 80 others under IPC sections related
to arson, rioting, theft, trespass and demolition at Chauthia
village in Betul district of Madhya Pradesh.
The CBI has registered the case on August 21, 2009 on the
orders of the Madhya Pradesh High Court to investigate the
incident of arson and demolition, which took place at Pardhidhana on September 11, 2007.
In its investigation, the CBI found that 11 families who
migrated from Maharashtra in 1995-96, got land `patta` by gram
panchayat of Chauthia. These families also got houses Indira
A CBI spokesperson said the resentment of certain locals
and another community against these families grew and a lady
of Sandia village belonging to another caste was allegedly
raped and murdered on September 9, 2007.
"After this incident both the communities became violent
and compelled local administration to evict the families out
of Pardhidhana on which the local administration assured that
unauthorised inhabitants would be removed," she said.
According to the spokesperson, during demolition and
arson, the MLAs from Masod and Multai reached the spot.
"They addressed the crowd and allegedly instigated the
villagers. The crowd got further charged and again indulged in
the act of arson. During incidents, some of members of
unlawful assembly participated in rioting with deadly
weapons," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?