CBI had just 1 lawyer in Bhopal gas leak case
Jabalpur: Under fire for weak prosecution in
the 1984 Bhopal gas leak case, CBI Director Ashwini Kumar said
today conceded the agency`s prosecution during trials was not
"Our investigations are normally good in all the cases,
but our prosecution during trials have not been good and we
are going to improve this by deputing more lawyers to put our
side effectively," Kumar, who came here for a function, told
He said there was only one CBI lawyer, C Sahay, in Bhopal
gas case from the prosecution side whereas there was a battery
of defence lawyers fielded by the accused.
"Now, we will ensure that there is a panel of at least
five lawyers to deal with big cases," he said.
The CBI Director maintained the agency has done its job
well in Bhopal gas tragedy case and the accused have been
convicted for two years after a scientific investigation.
He said the charges against the accused were amended to
304 (A), which invokes lighter punishment, from 304 II
(culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of IPC by the
Supreme Court after CBI filed the case against them.
Kumar said CBI has plans to ensure that investigation
in any case is completed in a year`s time so that the trial
comes to an end within two years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij