CBI registers case in Indore Mall irregularities
New Delhi: CBI has registered a case to probe alleged irregularities in the construction of a high-end mall in Indore, including the role of then Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Digvijay Singh.
CBI sources said the agency acted on the orders of Indore Bench of the Madhya Pradesh High Court which had directed it to probe "roles of senior officials, the then Chief Minister, and Chief Secretary, and environment minister" among others.
The case relates to allegations that the mall was illegally built on a residential plot of one lakh square feet, with undue concessions from the then state government under Chief Minister Digvijay Singh, Congress General Secretary at present.
In its order on October 19, Division Bench of Justices P K Jaisawal and Moolchand Garg had directed the CBI to probe the matter and report back in six months.
The Bench gave the direction on a plea by social activist Mahesh Garg who had filed a complaint with the state Economic Offences Wing in 2009 which had given a clean-chit to Singh.
Soon after the court order, Singh had welcomed the probe and posted on social networking website twitter that "permission was given for it (mall) during my tenure as Chief Minister. The BJP government`s Economic Offences Wing has already investigated the matter and found nothing against me."
The EOW had filed FIR against Entertainment World Developers Pvt Ltd, which constructed `Treasure Island` mall in a joint venture with Madhya Pradesh Housing Board in 2002, and probed 12 other accused officials and ministers, including Digvijay Singh.
It later filed a closure report giving clean chit to Singh, while saying there was a case against six others including the developers.
After the closure report, Garg filed a PIL in the High Court which has now given the case to CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state