Centre, MP govt lock horns over visits of Union ministers
New Delhi: The Centre and the Madhya Pradesh government have locked horns over visits of Union Ministers and bureaucrats to the state following an order by the BJP-run
dispensation that prior permission of the administration is necessary before any such tour.
In its order, the Madhya Pradesh government had said there were instances where Central ministers held meetings with district officials or took part in functions like foundation stone laying and inauguration of building without any intimation to the state.
"It has been decided that information should be given and prior permission must be taken from the state government before organising any such event or meeting which have connections with the state government or state government-run schemes," the Madhya Pradesh government order said.
Opposing the move, the Home Ministry has dashed off a letter to the Madhya Pradesh government saying such an order is contrary to the established norms and practices.
"It is a considered view of the government of India that import of the said circular amounts to restricting the free movement of the Union ministers and other dignitaries to and within the state of Madhya Pradesh who intend to visit/are invited for public ceremonies relating to various government schemes and activities involving interaction with the local administration," the Home Ministry letter said.
After Home Ministry`s protest, Madhya Pradesh tried to down play the circular saying the instructions were meant to ensure that the state government is kept fully informed of
such events and if necessary can send representatives and also ensure coordination.
"The circular has nothing to do with VIP visits per se, and only relates to functions involving the state government at the local level or meeting of local officials," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states
- Subhash Chandra steps down as chairman of Zee Media
- DNA samples taken as searchers hunt for EgyptAir plane