Centre seeks report from MP Govt over MGNREGS graft
New Delhi: The Centre has asked the Madhya Pradesh government to send "on priority basis" its action taken report on alleged corruption to the tune of several crore in works done under its flagship rural employment
Senior officials in the Rural Development Ministry said the state government has not yet sent its ATR over the series of irregularities pointed out by the ministry.
"We are concerned over the irregularities and sought their (MP government`s) action taken report. A reminder has been sent to them," a senior Rural Development ministry official said.
Officials said the ministry was considering a CBI probe in the alleged corruption cases in the state.
The ministry had on February 10 this year sent a letter to the state government seeking point-wise responses on a series of allegations levelled against it in distribution of wages to people below the poverty line under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
The action came after several NGOs and self-help groups approached the Rural Development Ministry, the nodal agency for executing work under MGNREGS, regarding alleged corruption in the programme meant for people living below the poverty line.
The ministry has also sent national-level monitors to select districts in the state to look into the alleged financial irregularities and is currently examining them.
Officials said several documents obtained by activists under the Right to Information Act related to works under MGNREGS have pointed fingers towards the role of certain government servants.
They said several irregularities in MGNREGS have been noticed in Madhya Pradesh. The worst affected areas are Sidhi, Katni, Bhind, Tikamgarh and Chhatarpur.
The Supreme Court had on May 12 ordered a CBI probe into alleged corruption in utilisation of Central funds by six districts of Orissa -- Kalahandi, Mayurbhanj, Rayagada, Bhawanipatna, Koraput and Malakangiri -- under MGNREGS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre