Centre seeks report from MP Govt over MGNREGS graft
New Delhi: The Centre has asked the Madhya Pradesh government to send "on priority basis" its action taken report on alleged corruption to the tune of several crore in works done under its flagship rural employment
Senior officials in the Rural Development Ministry said the state government has not yet sent its ATR over the series of irregularities pointed out by the ministry.
"We are concerned over the irregularities and sought their (MP government`s) action taken report. A reminder has been sent to them," a senior Rural Development ministry official said.
Officials said the ministry was considering a CBI probe in the alleged corruption cases in the state.
The ministry had on February 10 this year sent a letter to the state government seeking point-wise responses on a series of allegations levelled against it in distribution of wages to people below the poverty line under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
The action came after several NGOs and self-help groups approached the Rural Development Ministry, the nodal agency for executing work under MGNREGS, regarding alleged corruption in the programme meant for people living below the poverty line.
The ministry has also sent national-level monitors to select districts in the state to look into the alleged financial irregularities and is currently examining them.
Officials said several documents obtained by activists under the Right to Information Act related to works under MGNREGS have pointed fingers towards the role of certain government servants.
They said several irregularities in MGNREGS have been noticed in Madhya Pradesh. The worst affected areas are Sidhi, Katni, Bhind, Tikamgarh and Chhatarpur.
The Supreme Court had on May 12 ordered a CBI probe into alleged corruption in utilisation of Central funds by six districts of Orissa -- Kalahandi, Mayurbhanj, Rayagada, Bhawanipatna, Koraput and Malakangiri -- under MGNREGS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Cancer: Early warning signs you shouldn't ignore!