Centre seeks report from MP Govt over MGNREGS graft
New Delhi: The Centre has asked the Madhya Pradesh government to send "on priority basis" its action taken report on alleged corruption to the tune of several crore in works done under its flagship rural employment
Senior officials in the Rural Development Ministry said the state government has not yet sent its ATR over the series of irregularities pointed out by the ministry.
"We are concerned over the irregularities and sought their (MP government`s) action taken report. A reminder has been sent to them," a senior Rural Development ministry official said.
Officials said the ministry was considering a CBI probe in the alleged corruption cases in the state.
The ministry had on February 10 this year sent a letter to the state government seeking point-wise responses on a series of allegations levelled against it in distribution of wages to people below the poverty line under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
The action came after several NGOs and self-help groups approached the Rural Development Ministry, the nodal agency for executing work under MGNREGS, regarding alleged corruption in the programme meant for people living below the poverty line.
The ministry has also sent national-level monitors to select districts in the state to look into the alleged financial irregularities and is currently examining them.
Officials said several documents obtained by activists under the Right to Information Act related to works under MGNREGS have pointed fingers towards the role of certain government servants.
They said several irregularities in MGNREGS have been noticed in Madhya Pradesh. The worst affected areas are Sidhi, Katni, Bhind, Tikamgarh and Chhatarpur.
The Supreme Court had on May 12 ordered a CBI probe into alleged corruption in utilisation of Central funds by six districts of Orissa -- Kalahandi, Mayurbhanj, Rayagada, Bhawanipatna, Koraput and Malakangiri -- under MGNREGS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister