Centre seeks report from MP Govt over MGNREGS graft
New Delhi: The Centre has asked the Madhya Pradesh government to send "on priority basis" its action taken report on alleged corruption to the tune of several crore in works done under its flagship rural employment
Senior officials in the Rural Development Ministry said the state government has not yet sent its ATR over the series of irregularities pointed out by the ministry.
"We are concerned over the irregularities and sought their (MP government`s) action taken report. A reminder has been sent to them," a senior Rural Development ministry official said.
Officials said the ministry was considering a CBI probe in the alleged corruption cases in the state.
The ministry had on February 10 this year sent a letter to the state government seeking point-wise responses on a series of allegations levelled against it in distribution of wages to people below the poverty line under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS).
The action came after several NGOs and self-help groups approached the Rural Development Ministry, the nodal agency for executing work under MGNREGS, regarding alleged corruption in the programme meant for people living below the poverty line.
The ministry has also sent national-level monitors to select districts in the state to look into the alleged financial irregularities and is currently examining them.
Officials said several documents obtained by activists under the Right to Information Act related to works under MGNREGS have pointed fingers towards the role of certain government servants.
They said several irregularities in MGNREGS have been noticed in Madhya Pradesh. The worst affected areas are Sidhi, Katni, Bhind, Tikamgarh and Chhatarpur.
The Supreme Court had on May 12 ordered a CBI probe into alleged corruption in utilisation of Central funds by six districts of Orissa -- Kalahandi, Mayurbhanj, Rayagada, Bhawanipatna, Koraput and Malakangiri -- under MGNREGS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!