Chauhan praises Pranab for voicing concern about farmers
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan on Thursday praised President Pranab Mukherjee for voicing concern about the farmers in his first speech after taking oath of the office.
"It is quite heartening for me and millions of farmers that in your maiden speech as the President you voiced a sincere concern for the farming community," Chouhan said in a letter to Mukherjee, which also congratulated him on behalf of the people of Madhya Pradesh.
When Mukherjee headed the Group of Ministers (GoM) -- constituted at Chouhan`s behest -- on the issue of including frost and cold wave in the definition of `natural calamity`, its decision favoured farmers, Chouhan recalled.
The decision of the GoM in favour of farmers was accepted by the Centre. The credit for this went to "the sensitivity" with which Mukherjee saw the problems and issues of farming community, the letter said.
Chouhan drew the President`s attention to high prices of fertilizers, and the need to come up with a comprehensive crop insurance scheme.
He expressed confidence that under Mukherjee`s guidance, the `safety net` for the farmers in the country will be redefined.
It was a matter of pride and happiness that "a great statesman" of Mukherjee`s stature had adorned the highest office in the land, the letter added, inviting the President to visit Madhya Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs