Chauhan praises Pranab for voicing concern about farmers
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan on Thursday praised President Pranab Mukherjee for voicing concern about the farmers in his first speech after taking oath of the office.
"It is quite heartening for me and millions of farmers that in your maiden speech as the President you voiced a sincere concern for the farming community," Chouhan said in a letter to Mukherjee, which also congratulated him on behalf of the people of Madhya Pradesh.
When Mukherjee headed the Group of Ministers (GoM) -- constituted at Chouhan`s behest -- on the issue of including frost and cold wave in the definition of `natural calamity`, its decision favoured farmers, Chouhan recalled.
The decision of the GoM in favour of farmers was accepted by the Centre. The credit for this went to "the sensitivity" with which Mukherjee saw the problems and issues of farming community, the letter said.
Chouhan drew the President`s attention to high prices of fertilizers, and the need to come up with a comprehensive crop insurance scheme.
He expressed confidence that under Mukherjee`s guidance, the `safety net` for the farmers in the country will be redefined.
It was a matter of pride and happiness that "a great statesman" of Mukherjee`s stature had adorned the highest office in the land, the letter added, inviting the President to visit Madhya Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal