Chouhan wants Cong MLAs to attend special assembly session
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has asked Congress president Sonia Gandhi to direct her party legislators to participate in the special session of the assembly that aims to seek suggestions for inclusive development in the state.
In a letter to Gandhi, the chief minister said that the objective of holding the session, scheduled for May 11, was to exclusively deliberate on development issues related to the state. "The idea is inspired by a noble urge to seek suggestions of the members of the house irrespective of their political affiliations," Chouhan said.
He drew Gandhi`s attention to the fact that the state Congress had decided to boycott the special session even though it was being convened after all the members of the Business Advisory Committee of the house had unanimously granted their consent at a meeting chaired by the speaker.
He hoped the members would rise above political considerations while participating in the discussions.
"The suggestions thus received would be translated into actionable points and duly implemented. This constructive initiative would immensely benefit the people of the state," the chief minister said.
On May 3, Congress members decided to boycott the four-day special assembly session and instead declared they would demonstrate over issues such as power and potable water crisis, corruption and the deteriorating law and order situation during the proposed session.
"The government should have discussed such burning issues, but it wants to take credit by raising the issue of `Swarnim Madhya Pradesh` (Golden Madhya Pradesh)," Congress Legislative Party (CLP) deputy leader Rakesh Singh Chaturvedi said.
Chaturvedi alleged that stipulated procedures were not followed when a meeting of the Advisory Committee of the assembly was held before issuing the notice.
Asked why Congress members, who were present at the Advisory Committee meeting, did not oppose the decision, Chaturvedi said "false information" was given to them.
"I was told that the Leader of the Opposition in the assembly Jamuna Devi had given her consent to convene the session. But when she was asked about it, Devi said she had no idea about the issue," said Chaturvedi.
President Pratibha Patil was supposed to address the special session but Rashtrapati Bhavan cancelled on grounds of "unavoidable reasons".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins