Chouhan wants RS to be abolished, targets money power
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj
Singh Chouhan on Sunday said Rajya Sabha should be abolished since
huge sums of money are being spent to become members making
the Upper House like a "market"
In an apparent reference to liquor baron Vijay Mallya,
Chauhan also said people from "Kingfisher" are coming to the
Rajya Sabha. Mallya has business interests in the liquor and
airline industry among other sectors.
"Those who give funds make a sort of investment and
earn out of it later," the BJP chief minister said
"In my opinion the time has come to do away with the
Rajya Sabha elections in which huge sums of money is spent by
the candidates. In place of it, a quota should be reserved in
Lok Sabha for Rajya Sabha members," Chouhan said at a regional
consultation on electoral reforms organised in Madhya Pradesh
"Huge sums of money was being spent by the candidates to
become RS members," he said, adding that men with money power
were in the race to enter the upper house.
"Sometimes Kingfisher people are reaching RS," Chauhan
said, alluding to presence of Mallya in the House. "There is
open selling of tickets, it is like a market. It is a shame,"
"In place of Rajya Sabha elections, the system of like
nominating an Anglo-India as Member of Parliament should be
followed," Chouhan opined.
He opined that Lok Sabha and Assembly elections should be
held simultaneously in the country adding that they should be
held once in five years.
Chouhan said that the frequent polls were hampering
the development activities because of code of conduct in
The Chief Minister also expressed concern over the use of
"black money" during elections, adding that urgent steps were
needed to check it.
He stressed the need of state funding of elections saying
that it will end the use of black money in the elections.
"No political party can run without funds," he said
adding that a system should be evolved to make sure that money
is received by cheques.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing