Chouhan writes to CMs on UPSC`s new merit system
Bhopal: Holding that the recent changes made by UPSC in the civil services main exam are against the interest of aspirants from rural areas, MP Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has urged his counterparts in others states to raise the issue with the Prime Minister.
Chouhan wrote a letter to all the state Chief Ministers yesterday raising the issue of the recent decision of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) to prepare merit list of the civil services main examination by adding the marks scored by the candidates in English language, official sources said today.
Chouhan said in the letter that such a decision was against the interest of the aspirants from rural areas and small towns having very limited competency in English language, they said.
"I humbly request all of you to raise the issue of preparing civil services examination merit list considering the marks scored in English language with the Prime Minister," Chouhan said in the letter.
He said that knowledge of any particular language should not become the criterion for selection process. The candidates should be encouraged to express themselves in any Indian language, along with a qualifying level examination of English language.
Since independence, efforts were being made to give civil services the status of the representative service, which resulted in the current situation where candidates belonging to poorer and deprived classes, too, were able to participate in the civil services, he wrote in the letter.
The Chief Minister further said that in the last three decades, candidates having rural background and those belonging to weaker sections have secured their due place in the All India and other allied services.
However, while introducing reforms in the examination pattern, one has to keep in mind the limited scope available to the candidates having deep knowledge and natural competencies acquired through education because of language barrier, Chouhan said.
"Though in the globalisation period, necessity to know English language is increasing but capabilities and skills can be acquired through continuous training and knowledge," Chouhan said.
The UPSC should focus on selecting candidates on the basis of their intellectual capabilities and interests as that will only create candidates having maximum capabilities, the Chief Minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi