CM seeks aid for frost-hit MP farmers; threatens to go on fast
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has threatened to go on a fast from February 13, if the Centre fails to release the special relief
package sought for frost-affected farmers in the state.
"I will start a fast against the Centre from February 13,
if it fails to release the relief package sought for frost
affected farmers and neglects their demands," the Chief
Minister said while addressing development schemes
beneficiaries gathered at state`s second Antyodama Mela, held
at Dussehra Maidan here yesterday.
Chouhan has demanded the Centre to consider individual
farmer as a unit of national agriculture insurance scheme and
take steps for suspending loans, waiving off this year`s
interest interests of nationalised banks and declare
remunerative rates for crops.
He said the agitation was meant to ensure that the frost
affected farmers get relief from the Centre.
The Chief Minister said steps will be taken to cover all
crops under the national agriculture insurance scheme and he
will meet the Prime Minister and concerned Union Ministers to
demand the release of the special package.
He said Rs 100 per quintal bonus on wheat will continue
Referring to severe loss of crops due to frost, he said
in Bhopal district alone, Rs 43 crore has been distributed to
affected farmers and Rs 600 crore has been set aside for
providing relief to them.
Stating that the loss of crops is being liberally
assessed, the CM said that relief would be provided for loss
even in half an acre.
He appealed to all farmers to have an insurance cover and
get compensation for sudden loss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter