Concern over safety of tigers in Bhopal forest reg
Bhopal: In wake of the presence of tigers been noticed in the adjoining areas of the state capital, urgent measures need to be taken to ensure safety of the big cats in the region, a noted environmentalist has said.
Environmentalist Pankaj Chaturvedi said he has written to NTCA member Rajesh Gopal drawing attention that the forest department had noticed the movement of tigers in the Kervan, Kaliasot and Kolar Dam forest areas and the Kathoutia range adjoining Bhopal for the last two years.
He also expressed concern that no measure was taken to ensure safety of the big cats, as a result of which a tiger lost his life at poachers` hands in June this year.
In September, a cub died after getting caught in a trap set by poachers.
Forest officials have put up display boards to warn people in the area about presence of tigers, but according to Chaturvedi, the department`s efforts to push the animals back into core forest areas had failed so far.
Chaturvedi requested the National Tiger Conservation Authority to take urgent steps in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what