Cong MLA opposes politicians heading sport federations
Bhopal: Senior Congress MLA Ajay Singh on Sunday said he was strictly opposed to the idea of politicians heading sports federations in the country.
"Politicians should confine themselves only to politics and the job of running sports federations should be left to professionals," Ajay told a news agency.
He alleged that once a politician gets elected as the president of a federation, he tends to look after only his vested interests instead of serving sports.
The Congress MLA, who is the Chairman of his party`s state election campaign committee, said it is because of this mixing of politics with sports that India fails to perform well at the Olympics.
It was a matter of shame that a country with such a huge population has to satisfy itself with only a medal or two at the Olympics, Ajay said.
"I know that politicians will not like what I am saying but it is my firm view that they should have nothing to do with sports," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah