Cong MLA opposes politicians heading sport federations
Bhopal: Senior Congress MLA Ajay Singh on Sunday said he was strictly opposed to the idea of politicians heading sports federations in the country.
"Politicians should confine themselves only to politics and the job of running sports federations should be left to professionals," Ajay told a news agency.
He alleged that once a politician gets elected as the president of a federation, he tends to look after only his vested interests instead of serving sports.
The Congress MLA, who is the Chairman of his party`s state election campaign committee, said it is because of this mixing of politics with sports that India fails to perform well at the Olympics.
It was a matter of shame that a country with such a huge population has to satisfy itself with only a medal or two at the Olympics, Ajay said.
"I know that politicians will not like what I am saying but it is my firm view that they should have nothing to do with sports," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena