Cong MLA opposes politicians heading sport federations
Bhopal: Senior Congress MLA Ajay Singh on Sunday said he was strictly opposed to the idea of politicians heading sports federations in the country.
"Politicians should confine themselves only to politics and the job of running sports federations should be left to professionals," Ajay told a news agency.
He alleged that once a politician gets elected as the president of a federation, he tends to look after only his vested interests instead of serving sports.
The Congress MLA, who is the Chairman of his party`s state election campaign committee, said it is because of this mixing of politics with sports that India fails to perform well at the Olympics.
It was a matter of shame that a country with such a huge population has to satisfy itself with only a medal or two at the Olympics, Ajay said.
"I know that politicians will not like what I am saying but it is my firm view that they should have nothing to do with sports," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter