Cong MLA opposes politicians heading sport federations
Bhopal: Senior Congress MLA Ajay Singh on Sunday said he was strictly opposed to the idea of politicians heading sports federations in the country.
"Politicians should confine themselves only to politics and the job of running sports federations should be left to professionals," Ajay told a news agency.
He alleged that once a politician gets elected as the president of a federation, he tends to look after only his vested interests instead of serving sports.
The Congress MLA, who is the Chairman of his party`s state election campaign committee, said it is because of this mixing of politics with sports that India fails to perform well at the Olympics.
It was a matter of shame that a country with such a huge population has to satisfy itself with only a medal or two at the Olympics, Ajay said.
"I know that politicians will not like what I am saying but it is my firm view that they should have nothing to do with sports," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO