Cong needs to unitedly take on BJP in MP: Scindia
Bhopal: Union Minister of State for Commerce and Industry Jyotiraditya Scindia on Thursday appealed to Congress leaders to sink factionalism and to launch a united fight against the ruling BJP in Madhya Pradesh.
"It is important for the party leaders at present to lock their personal ambitions and desires in a room and come out on the roads to stage protest against the ruling BJP in the state," Scindia told reporters here.
Scindia arrived here to take part in the party`s public meeting and to gherao Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan`s residence on issues of alleged rampant corruption and non-fulfilment of promises made by the ruling BJP.
On if he considers establishing unity a bigger challenge than bringing the party back to power in the state, the leader said both are inter-linked and that they would be able to win confidence of the people only when there is a unity in the Congress.
"Groupism is prevalent in almost all the political parties in the country, but what is more important for the Congress in Madhya Pradesh is to save its existence," the minister said.
Senior Congress leaders including general secretary Digvijay Singh and Union Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath are not attending today`s protest.
In a letter to state Congress unit president Kantilal Bhuria, Singh expressed his inability to attend the protest.
Scindia said, "It is not always possible for all the leaders to remain present at a particular event. Last time I was not present in the Congress protest, but this time I am here."
However, he said it would be better if all the leaders take part in such events in the state. When asked if he is ready to be the state party unit president, Scindia said whatever responsibility is given to him by the party and people, he always abides by it.
On the issue of chief ministership, he said in Congress such decisions are taken by the elected MLAs and the party high command.
Meanwhile, justifying the UPA`s policy of FDI in retail, he said it is absolutely necessary for the country and those who are opposing it are anti-farmers and not concerned about their welfare.
Referring to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s attack on the Congress leadership, he said Modi is targeting the party to "hide his own government`s failure".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed