Cong urges EC to file case against MP CM for poll code breach
Bhopal: Taking exception to Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan`s announcement of interest-free loans to farmers in the run-up to civic polls, Madhya Pradesh Congress on Saturday urged the election commission to register a poll code violation case against him.
Alleging that Chouhan has "violated" the code of conduct in force for the civic polls due later this month by announcing interest-free loans, the Leader of Opposition in Madhya Pradesh Assembly, Ajay Singh has requested the state election commission to take suo motu notice of the same.
"The chief minister is misusing his post. First, Chouhan got the election extended on the excuse of his foreign tour and today he announced interest-free loans to farmers to woo the voters in the civic bodies elections slated to be held later this month," he said in a statement.
Ajay further said that if the election commission did not register a case against Chouhan, he would lodge a complaint in this regard with the poll watchdog on Monday.
Chouhan today announced "zero percent rate of interest" on loans given to farmers since April 1 this year.
The polls will be held in two phases on June 28 and June 30 in 49 municipal bodies in 16 districts, and counting will take place on July 2 and July 4, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert