Cong wants MP BJP chief removed for backing child
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh opposition leader Ajay Singh on Thursday sought removal of the state unit BJP president Prabhat Jha for his alleged role in supporting the marriage of a minor girl from Bundelkhand region in violation of law.
Appealing to BJP president Nitin Gadkari to sack Jha from the post, Ajay also demanded action against the minister of state, Harishankar Khateek, for allegedly distributing invitation cards for the marriage of Angoori Bai with Ramesh, who is already married.
The purported wedding is said to have taken place on April 24 at Tapiriyan village in Bundelkhnad region of the state.
The wedding cards bore the names of Khateek and Jha, he said.
A case should be filed against the duo and action be taken for "destroying" lives of two women, Ajay said in a statement.
"Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had said that no child marriage should take place on the day of Akshay Tritiya but this happened in violation of all his announcements," the statement said quoting the leader of opposition.
Ajay further said that he had written to Gadkari and sought action against Jha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof