Cong wants MP BJP chief removed for backing child
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh opposition leader Ajay Singh on Thursday sought removal of the state unit BJP president Prabhat Jha for his alleged role in supporting the marriage of a minor girl from Bundelkhand region in violation of law.
Appealing to BJP president Nitin Gadkari to sack Jha from the post, Ajay also demanded action against the minister of state, Harishankar Khateek, for allegedly distributing invitation cards for the marriage of Angoori Bai with Ramesh, who is already married.
The purported wedding is said to have taken place on April 24 at Tapiriyan village in Bundelkhnad region of the state.
The wedding cards bore the names of Khateek and Jha, he said.
A case should be filed against the duo and action be taken for "destroying" lives of two women, Ajay said in a statement.
"Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had said that no child marriage should take place on the day of Akshay Tritiya but this happened in violation of all his announcements," the statement said quoting the leader of opposition.
Ajay further said that he had written to Gadkari and sought action against Jha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next