Cong wants MP BJP chief removed for backing child
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh opposition leader Ajay Singh on Thursday sought removal of the state unit BJP president Prabhat Jha for his alleged role in supporting the marriage of a minor girl from Bundelkhand region in violation of law.
Appealing to BJP president Nitin Gadkari to sack Jha from the post, Ajay also demanded action against the minister of state, Harishankar Khateek, for allegedly distributing invitation cards for the marriage of Angoori Bai with Ramesh, who is already married.
The purported wedding is said to have taken place on April 24 at Tapiriyan village in Bundelkhnad region of the state.
The wedding cards bore the names of Khateek and Jha, he said.
A case should be filed against the duo and action be taken for "destroying" lives of two women, Ajay said in a statement.
"Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had said that no child marriage should take place on the day of Akshay Tritiya but this happened in violation of all his announcements," the statement said quoting the leader of opposition.
Ajay further said that he had written to Gadkari and sought action against Jha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review