Congress MP against Chidamdaram as PM candidate
Bhopal: Congress MP Sajjan Singh Varma said here on Monday that if P Chidambaram was projected as the next prime minister, he would have to think whether he will continue to work for the Congress or not.
The Congress MP said that he had always been a Congress worker but pointed out that if Chidambaram became prime ministerial candidate he would have to rethink about continuing in the Congress.
Varma also cast doubts on the credibility of the London-based `The Economist` magazine and said that all predictions made by it in the last two years proved wrong.
He said that Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi would be the natural choice for the prime minister`s post after the Lok Sabha elections and added that a final decision in the matter would be taken by Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
In its print edition dated December 1, 2012, `The Economist` has carried a story headlined `On the prowl`, portraying Palaniappan Chidambaram as "an unexpected figure emerging as the most powerful politician in India`s government".
"Some commentators dismiss as laughable, the notion that he might dream of replacing the 80-year-old Singh when the prime minister at last throws in the towel. And though Sonia Gandhi, Congress`s president, expects, health permitting, to hold on to backroom power, she needs a partner to front the show. If she trusts him, Chidambaram may fit the bill," the story said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof