Congressmen protest hike in power tariffs in MP
Bhopal: The Opposition Congress on Monday
staged protests across Madhya Pradesh against the "steep" hike
in power tariffs in the BJP-ruled state.
Police wielded lathis to disperse protesters at
several places, police sources said.
State Congress President Kantilal Bhuria and Leader of
Opposition Ajay Singh staged a sit-in at Ratlam.
Both criticised the BJP Government for the "steep"
hike in rates and alleged that farmers were getting power
bills even though they were not being supplied electricity.
In the state capital, police cane-charged protesting
Congress workers at Bittan Market area. In other parts of the
state also, police used force against the agitators, the
Both Bhuria and Singh condemned the police action.
Chairman of the State Congress Media Cell Manak
Agrawal said the BJP has increased power tariffs eight times
during its as many years of rule.
A Congress delegation later submitted a memorandum to
Governor Ram Naresh Yadav here, demanding a rollback of power
Last month, MP Electricity Regulatory Commission
allowed power distribution companies to increase tariff by
7.17 per cent from April 10. The companies had sought a tariff
hike of 24 per cent, but their plea was turned down by the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore