Consider financial background before setting poverty line: Digvijay Singh
Guna: Congress leader Digvijay Singh said here on Monday that the poverty line should be based on the financial background of a person.
"The definition of poverty is different for different areas. At some places even 50 rupees are enough and at some places even 200 are less. So, the family background and financial condition of a person should be considered before setting the poverty line, said Singh.
"Issues like weather a person is a victim of malnutrition or not, weather he owns his own house and land or not and how much wealth he posses should be considered," he added.
A panel headed by former Economic Advisor to Prime Minister C Rangarajan sets the poverty line at Rs 32 per day in rural areas and Rs.47 in urban areas.
The panel has dismissed the Tendulkar Committee Report on estimating poverty, which had suggested persons spending below Rs.33 per day in urban areas are to be considered poor.
As per the report submitted by Rangarajan to Minister of State, Statistics and Programme Implementation, Rao Inderjit Singh, it said the poverty stood at 38.2 per cent in 2009-10 and had slid to 29.5 per cent in 2011-12.
The Rangarajan Committee was set up last year to review the Tendulkar Committee methodology for estimating poverty and clear the ambiguity over the number of poor in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!