Counting for MP by-polls on Monday
Bhopal: The ruling BJP and Opposition Congress in Madhya Pradesh are eagerly waiting for the results to be declared on Monday of the by-elections to three Assembly seats held last week.
The counting of votes will take place tomorrow at Katni district headquarters for Bahoriband and Vijayraghavgarh seats and at Agar Malwa for Agar constituency.
The by-poll was necessitated in Bahoriband as sitting BJP MLA Prabhat Pandey passed away, while in Vijayraghavgarh it was held as sitting Congress MLA Sanjay Pathak joined BJP during the recent Lok Sabha elections.
In Agar, the by-poll was held after sitting BJP MLA Manohar Untwal got elected as MP from Dewas Lok Sabha seat.
Congress has raised the issue of scam in Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) and corruption to revive its fortunes in the state, where it has been out of power since 2003.
BJP focussed its campaign on development issues with Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan addressing a series of meetings in all the three constituencies.
Just before the by-polls, Congress suffered a jolt when former MLA from Bahoriband, Nishith Patel, left the party to join BJP as he was opposing the candidature of Sourabh Singh, who joined Congress after leaving the BSP.
From Bahoriband, BJP has fielded Prabhat Pandey`s son Pranav Pandey against Congress` Sourabh.
In Vijayraghavgarh, BJP has fielded former MLA Sanjay Pathak, who left Congress to join the saffron party, against former Katni Mayor Brajendra Mishra.
From Agar, BJP`s Gopal Parmar is pitted against Rajkumar Gore of Congress.
The by-poll in three constituencies witnessed a higher turnout of 69.98 per cent, with Bahorband recording 71.80 per cent, Agar 70.09 per cent and Vijayraghavgarh 68.05 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India