Counting for MP by-polls on Monday
Bhopal: The ruling BJP and Opposition Congress in Madhya Pradesh are eagerly waiting for the results to be declared on Monday of the by-elections to three Assembly seats held last week.
The counting of votes will take place tomorrow at Katni district headquarters for Bahoriband and Vijayraghavgarh seats and at Agar Malwa for Agar constituency.
The by-poll was necessitated in Bahoriband as sitting BJP MLA Prabhat Pandey passed away, while in Vijayraghavgarh it was held as sitting Congress MLA Sanjay Pathak joined BJP during the recent Lok Sabha elections.
In Agar, the by-poll was held after sitting BJP MLA Manohar Untwal got elected as MP from Dewas Lok Sabha seat.
Congress has raised the issue of scam in Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) and corruption to revive its fortunes in the state, where it has been out of power since 2003.
BJP focussed its campaign on development issues with Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan addressing a series of meetings in all the three constituencies.
Just before the by-polls, Congress suffered a jolt when former MLA from Bahoriband, Nishith Patel, left the party to join BJP as he was opposing the candidature of Sourabh Singh, who joined Congress after leaving the BSP.
From Bahoriband, BJP has fielded Prabhat Pandey`s son Pranav Pandey against Congress` Sourabh.
In Vijayraghavgarh, BJP has fielded former MLA Sanjay Pathak, who left Congress to join the saffron party, against former Katni Mayor Brajendra Mishra.
From Agar, BJP`s Gopal Parmar is pitted against Rajkumar Gore of Congress.
The by-poll in three constituencies witnessed a higher turnout of 69.98 per cent, with Bahorband recording 71.80 per cent, Agar 70.09 per cent and Vijayraghavgarh 68.05 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range