Counting for MP by-polls on Monday
Bhopal: The ruling BJP and Opposition Congress in Madhya Pradesh are eagerly waiting for the results to be declared on Monday of the by-elections to three Assembly seats held last week.
The counting of votes will take place tomorrow at Katni district headquarters for Bahoriband and Vijayraghavgarh seats and at Agar Malwa for Agar constituency.
The by-poll was necessitated in Bahoriband as sitting BJP MLA Prabhat Pandey passed away, while in Vijayraghavgarh it was held as sitting Congress MLA Sanjay Pathak joined BJP during the recent Lok Sabha elections.
In Agar, the by-poll was held after sitting BJP MLA Manohar Untwal got elected as MP from Dewas Lok Sabha seat.
Congress has raised the issue of scam in Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) and corruption to revive its fortunes in the state, where it has been out of power since 2003.
BJP focussed its campaign on development issues with Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan addressing a series of meetings in all the three constituencies.
Just before the by-polls, Congress suffered a jolt when former MLA from Bahoriband, Nishith Patel, left the party to join BJP as he was opposing the candidature of Sourabh Singh, who joined Congress after leaving the BSP.
From Bahoriband, BJP has fielded Prabhat Pandey`s son Pranav Pandey against Congress` Sourabh.
In Vijayraghavgarh, BJP has fielded former MLA Sanjay Pathak, who left Congress to join the saffron party, against former Katni Mayor Brajendra Mishra.
From Agar, BJP`s Gopal Parmar is pitted against Rajkumar Gore of Congress.
The by-poll in three constituencies witnessed a higher turnout of 69.98 per cent, with Bahorband recording 71.80 per cent, Agar 70.09 per cent and Vijayraghavgarh 68.05 per cent.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump