Court grants bail to Digvijay, MP in assault case
Ujjain: Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh and party MP Prem Chand Guddu were on Tuesday granted bail by a local court in connection with a case filed against them and others for allegedly thrashing BJP youth wing workers in Ujjain in 2011.
The two appeared in the court today and on producing a surety of Rs 25,000 each, Additional Sessions Judge Dipesh Tiwari granted them bail.
On April 3, the Sessions Court here had issued non- bailable warrants against Singh and Guddu after they failed to appear before it in connection with the case. Guddu is Congress Lok Sabha MP from Ujjain.
The two were granted anticipatory bail by the Indore bench of Madhya Pradesh High Court on April 17 in the case.
The case relates to an incident on July 17, 2011 when Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) activists were allegedly assaulted by Congress workers and leaders. The BJYM activists were beaten up when they were protesting against certain remarks made by Digvijay.
Besides Digvijay and the MP, others named as accused were Congress leaders Jai Singh, Anant Narayan Meena, Mukesh Bhati and Amar Lal.
Except Digvijay and Guddu, others were granted bail by the Ujjain Sessions Court when they appeared before it early this month.
In November last year, the Sessions Court had asked police to register cases against the Congressmen, including Digvijay and Guddu, under IPC Sections 307 (attempt to murder), 326 and 324 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means), among others.
The Congress General Secretary is slated to address a party rally in the city later this afternoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’