Curfew in MP town after group clash
Raisen(MP): A clash broke out between two groups when two girls allegedly tried to run away with their boyfriends who belonged to a different community following which a curfew was imposed in Gairatganj town of Raisen district of Madhya Pradesh, officials said.
"Seeing the tension in the city, orders to impose the curfew in Raisen town were given by District Collector M L Meena at around 9 PM last night following a clash between the two groups at a police station," Superintendent of Police Shashikant Shukla said today.
However, the curfew was lifted today at 10 AM as the situation was under control, Shukla said.
The two girls allegedly tried to run away with their boyfriends in a jeep last night at Gairatganj, about 60 kms from there, he said.
However, some suspected Bajrang Dal activists beat up both the boys after stopping them at Raisen`s toll plaza and later handed them over to police, the SP said.
Soon after, the relatives of the boys came there and both the sides started fighting. Police tried to calm them down but they hurled stones at the policemen following which police had to resort to mild lathicharge to disperse the protesters, he said.
Additional Superintendent of Police Mukesh Viash and his gunman were injured in the stone-pelting, the SP said.
Both the girls were also handed over to their family members.
A case has been registered and action would be taken against the accused after identifying them, the SP said.
Police force has been deployed in Gairatganj town as a precautionary measure, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?