Curfew in MP town after group clash
Raisen(MP): A clash broke out between two groups when two girls allegedly tried to run away with their boyfriends who belonged to a different community following which a curfew was imposed in Gairatganj town of Raisen district of Madhya Pradesh, officials said.
"Seeing the tension in the city, orders to impose the curfew in Raisen town were given by District Collector M L Meena at around 9 PM last night following a clash between the two groups at a police station," Superintendent of Police Shashikant Shukla said today.
However, the curfew was lifted today at 10 AM as the situation was under control, Shukla said.
The two girls allegedly tried to run away with their boyfriends in a jeep last night at Gairatganj, about 60 kms from there, he said.
However, some suspected Bajrang Dal activists beat up both the boys after stopping them at Raisen`s toll plaza and later handed them over to police, the SP said.
Soon after, the relatives of the boys came there and both the sides started fighting. Police tried to calm them down but they hurled stones at the policemen following which police had to resort to mild lathicharge to disperse the protesters, he said.
Additional Superintendent of Police Mukesh Viash and his gunman were injured in the stone-pelting, the SP said.
Both the girls were also handed over to their family members.
A case has been registered and action would be taken against the accused after identifying them, the SP said.
Police force has been deployed in Gairatganj town as a precautionary measure, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured