Curfew in MP town after group clash
Raisen(MP): A clash broke out between two groups when two girls allegedly tried to run away with their boyfriends who belonged to a different community following which a curfew was imposed in Gairatganj town of Raisen district of Madhya Pradesh, officials said.
"Seeing the tension in the city, orders to impose the curfew in Raisen town were given by District Collector M L Meena at around 9 PM last night following a clash between the two groups at a police station," Superintendent of Police Shashikant Shukla said today.
However, the curfew was lifted today at 10 AM as the situation was under control, Shukla said.
The two girls allegedly tried to run away with their boyfriends in a jeep last night at Gairatganj, about 60 kms from there, he said.
However, some suspected Bajrang Dal activists beat up both the boys after stopping them at Raisen`s toll plaza and later handed them over to police, the SP said.
Soon after, the relatives of the boys came there and both the sides started fighting. Police tried to calm them down but they hurled stones at the policemen following which police had to resort to mild lathicharge to disperse the protesters, he said.
Additional Superintendent of Police Mukesh Viash and his gunman were injured in the stone-pelting, the SP said.
Both the girls were also handed over to their family members.
A case has been registered and action would be taken against the accused after identifying them, the SP said.
Police force has been deployed in Gairatganj town as a precautionary measure, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!