Damage to temple idol triggers tension in Khandwa block
Khandwa: Tension prevailed in the Khalta block headquarters of the district after an idol at a temple there was allegedly found damaged, following which locals launched an agitation to demand arrest of the culprit, police said.
The agitators, while staging a demonstration, enforced a `chakka jam` on the road from Ashapur to Khar townships on the outskirts of the district which led to long queues of stranded vehicles, they said.
The agitators told the police that when they went to the temple this morning, they found the idol damaged even though the premises was locked during the night.
Attempts were being made to persuade the agitators to call off their agitation, police said adding that the situation in Khalta was tense but under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step