Death toll climbs to 17 in fire at cracker factory in Ujjain
Ujjain: The death toll in the fire at a cracker factory in Badnagar town of Ujjain district has risen to 17 with two more persons, including a woman, succumbing to their injuries in a hospital at Indore, police said today.
The blaze had yesterday claimed 15 lives, including eight women and three children, they said.
The fire had broken out last evening in the cracker factory, situated near Khob Darwaza in the city, Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Pankaj Shrivastava said.
Two more persons succumbed to their injuries today, he said. A magisterial probe has been ordered by the District Collector in this regard, police said.
The factory belongs to one Yusuf Hussain, who was detained by police after the mishap, they said. The fire-tenders took over an hour to control the blaze which caused panic in the area, police said.
Meanwhile, Madhya Pradesh government last night announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh each to the kin of those killed in the incident and Rs 50,000 each to the injured persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Rajiv Gandhi's assassination: Yet to take decision on premature release of Nalini, Tamil Nadu tells Madras HC
- Geeta wants to undertake a train journey to search her parents
- Magnitude 5.5 quake hits near Chile's copper mining area, says USGS
- Colombia to get UN peace monitors, possible referendum
- Brexit: Here are answers to 5 key questions on what will happen next in Britain's relations with European Union