Death toll in rain-ravaged MP rises to 23
Bhopal: The death toll in the flood-ravaged Madhya Pradesh has reached 23 with three more persons losing their lives in heavy showers since yesterday, officials said on Wednesday.
Hoshangabad, Harda, Raisen, Vidisha and Sehore districts are the worst hit by heavy rains which have affected normal life in the last few days. Army personnel were deployed in Hoshangabd district for relief and rescue operations, I S Dani, Additional Chief Secretary (Home), told reporters here.
The situation in other districts is under control and water level in river Narmada is receding in Hoshangabad, he said.
A total of 23 persons have so for lost their lives due to heavy rains. While 20 casualties were reported till yesterday, three more persons died in rain-related incidents since last night, Dani said.
A joint team of local administration and Army is making efforts to rescue nearly 208 persons who are stranded in Raisen district`s Dobakhedi village because of flood in Betwa river, the Home Department officer said.
As many as 245 livestock have perished so far, while 947 houses have been damaged. Roads have suffered damage in 16 districts, while national highways have borne the brunt of rain fury in another six districts, he said.
As per preliminary estimates, the state has suffered damage worth over Rs 14 crore and a report in this regard would be dispatched to the Centre by tomorrow, Dani said.
However, there has been no major damage to crops,officials said
The Government had set a target of sowing in 114 lakh hectares in the current kharif season. Of this, sowing has been completed in 109 lakh hectares.
Crops have not suffered any major damage so far and the target of sowing kharif crops would be achieved by the month end, Dani maintained.
In Sehore, 96 villages were affected due to heavy rains and a total of 12,500 persons were shifted to safer places in the district.
Similarly, 1,500 people of Hoshangabad`s 13 villages, 2,500 from three villages in Harda and 2,500 persons in three villages of Vidisha district were shifted to relief camps, Dani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter