Debate direct election of PM, CMs: Chouhan
New Delhi: Claiming itself to be a model
state in good governance, Madhya Pradesh on Saturday suggested
several reforms like direct election of Prime Minister and
chief ministers, state funding of elections and seizure of
property of the corrupt.
Addressing the National Development Council meet here,
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan highlighted how the state
had achieved more than the growth targets set for it by the
Centre and progressed in the fields of infrastructure,
tourism and rural development.
"I think the time has come, when we should start debating
direct elections of Prime Minister and Chief Ministers,"
He also called for electoral reforms to check poll
"I wish to affirm that our commitment to good governance
and integrity will be displayed only when we take concrete
steps towards electoral reforms. I strongly recommend state
funding of elections to curb misuse of money during elections.
Frequent elections and bypolls should be done away with and
all elections should be concurrently held once in five years,"
The Chief Minister also underlined the need for taking
stern measures against corruption.
"We have enacted a legislation enabling the government to
forfeit property earned through corrupt means. I earnestly
request the government of India to give assent to this
legislation and strengthen our resolve to restore probity in
public life," Chouhan said.
Chouhan claimed that Madhya Pradesh is likely to achieve
10.06 per cent growth in 11th Five Year plan period against
the set target of 7.6 per cent per annum.
"Madhya Pradesh has already achieved the target growth on
annual basis of more than 9 per cent in last three years," he
However, the state is not without its problems and
challenges, he said.
"Lower level of per capita income gives rise to many
disparities and social imbalances which need special attention
on the part of the Central government, to bring the state at
par with rest of the country for equitable and inclusive
growth," Chouhan said.
He sought financial assistance from the Centre to improve
roads and the rail network in Madhya Pradesh.
"I would like to point out that the state is facing acute
shortage of funds under the Central Road Fund scheme. The
Ministry sanctioned road projects of Rs 1,400 crore, but the
requisite funds are not being made available to the state,"
On the rail network, he maintained that it has the lowest
density of rail network in the country.
"There is no immediate plan to improve the rail
connectivity in the state. This has resulted in a major
economic bottleneck as Madhya Pradesh is a landlocked state,"
For tourism, the chieef minister complained that the
recent imposition of service tax on hospitality industry by
the Centre is a "retrograde step" which will affect investment
in the sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes