Digvijay demands judicial probe in farmer`s death
Bhopal: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Tuesday demanded a judicial probe into yesterday`s incident at Bareli where a farmer died in police firing.
While state Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan likes to call himself a son of a farmer, he should be ashamed that a farmer had been killed in an area, which he earlier represented in the Lok Sabha, Singh said in a statement issued here.
A farmer was killed and about 40 others were injured when police fired at the farmers protesting wheat procurement and shortage of jute bags in Bareli town yesterday.
If farmers in Raisen district were being treated like this, one could imagine what treatment they would be getting elsewhere in the state, he said.
It had become a habit with Chouhan to blame the Centre for all his problems, whereas the state government was responsible for the shortage of jute bags in the state, he added.
The present situation was a result of mismanagement and prevailing corruption, he said, adding that it was because of the anti-farmer policies of the state government that farmers were being forced to commit suicides.
"I also demand that Chouhan should apologise to the farmers for the treatment being given to them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?