Digvijay demands judicial probe in farmer`s death
Bhopal: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Tuesday demanded a judicial probe into yesterday`s incident at Bareli where a farmer died in police firing.
While state Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan likes to call himself a son of a farmer, he should be ashamed that a farmer had been killed in an area, which he earlier represented in the Lok Sabha, Singh said in a statement issued here.
A farmer was killed and about 40 others were injured when police fired at the farmers protesting wheat procurement and shortage of jute bags in Bareli town yesterday.
If farmers in Raisen district were being treated like this, one could imagine what treatment they would be getting elsewhere in the state, he said.
It had become a habit with Chouhan to blame the Centre for all his problems, whereas the state government was responsible for the shortage of jute bags in the state, he added.
The present situation was a result of mismanagement and prevailing corruption, he said, adding that it was because of the anti-farmer policies of the state government that farmers were being forced to commit suicides.
"I also demand that Chouhan should apologise to the farmers for the treatment being given to them."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!