Digvijay, MP Home Minister trade charges over banned SIMI
Bhopal: War of words continued between Madhya Pradesh Home Minister Uma Shankar Gupta and Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh over the role of the previous government in encouraging activities of SIMI in the state, when he was the chief minister.
Both leaders began trading charges on the issue after Gupta told reporters at Indore recently that Singh patronised SIMI in the state during his tenure.
"Digvijay government had encouraged SIMI (Students Islamic Movement of India), and hence the activities of this banned organisation flourished in those days," the minister said.
He also claimed that the ruling BJP government had worked hard to wipe out this banned outfit from MP.
Strongly refuting Gupta`s charges, Singh said, "as Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister, I was the first person to seek a ban on SIMI and hence there was no question of my encouraging it."
Singh also said that he had sought a ban both on SIMI and the Bajrang Dal but since at that time, BJP-led NDA was in power at the Centre, it initiated action against SIMI but not Bajrang Dal.
The Congress leader said he has always held the view that fundamentalists of both communities worked to help each other.
"If there was no fanatic Hindu, Muslims would not have anyone to criticise.. And if there were no fanatic Muslim, Hindus would not find anyone whom they can attack," he said.
Singh, who headed the Congress rule from 1993-2003, alleged that the present Madhya Pradesh government was sleeping over alleged terrorist activities in the state.
"And this is evident from the fact that NIA had on Saturday arrested a person in connection with the Samjhauta Express blasts from Nagda town in the state. Had the Madhya Pradesh Police been active, there would have been no need for NIA to come here and make arrests," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!