Digvijay Singh begins fast on issues of farmers, MPPEB scam
Guna: Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh on Monday began a seven-day fast near the Collectorate here to protest the non-payment of compensation to farmers for crop damage and for demanding a CBI probe in the MPPEB scam.
Before starting his fast, Singh along with a delegation met District Collector Sandeep Yadav and sought to know what action had been taken on a letter written by him on June 20 (with regard to compensation paid to farmers of Guna for crop damages).
Singh decided to start the fast after the Collector told him that no farmer had been paid compensation in the district since June 20.
Later talking to reporters, he charged both the state government and district administration with being insensitive. Just as Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan does not reply to letters written to him, the district administration also does not do anything about what is written to it, he said.
The Congress leader also said he was consulting his lawyers about the Madhya Pradesh High Court`s decision not to accept his letter as a petition in connection with the Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam.
A division bench of Madhya Pradesh High Court today directed him to file a "proper petition" in the case and not involve courts in political battles.
Before starting the fast, Singh garlanded a statue of former Prime Minister late Jawaharlal Nehru and offered flowers before portraits of Mahatma Gandhi and BR Ambedkar.
The Rajya Sabha member said he will continue with his fight for the interests of farmers and expressed hope that the High Court will do justice in the MPPEB scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi