Digvijay Singh to stage week-long hunger strike in Guna
Bhopal: Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh on Saturday said he will stage a seven-day hunger strike in Guna district headquarters from July 7, protesting against the state government for not providing relief to natural-calamity hit farmers.
In a statement, Singh said that he had submitted a letter to the Guna district collector on June 19, highlighting that hail and flood affected farmers were not getting relief and they also did not get soyabean seeds and fertilisers.
He also demanded payment for crop insurance scheme, prevention of black marketing of fertilisers and also raised other related
issues and warned that if all these demands were not met, he will stage a hunger strike.
Meanwhile, Guna district collector Sandeep Yadav told PTI that as per the survey, relief (funds) has been given to all affected
farmers in the district.
The Congress General Secretary also appealed to the farmers across the state that if they are affected with the issues, they should stage protest near highway of their respective villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender