Digvijay Singh`s convoy attacked in Madhya Pradesh
Zee Media Bureau
Bhopal: The convoy of Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh was on Friday attacked in Dhar district in Madhya Pradesh.
Activists, allegedly belonging to saffron outfits, pelted stones at the car in which Singh and Leader of the Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Ajay Singh were travelling.
Though the car was damaged, both the leaders escaped unhurt in the attack, police sources said.
According to reports, his car was smeared with black paint and window panes were broken.
Confirming the attack, Singh on microblogging website Twitter said that Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and Bharatiya Janata Party activists were behind the attack.
"Sanghis /BJP activists attack my Car in Kukshi in MP. State Police looks on helplessly. If they think can frighten me they are mistaken," tweeted Singh.
The Congress general secretary told a news agency over phone en route Bhopal that "police had prior information about the attack but they looked on helplessly. If they wanted, they could have prevented it".
Digvijay said his vehicle was damaged in the attack and alleged BJP was behind it. "If they think I will get frightened by these attacks, then they are mistaken," he said.
The two were returning from Alirajpur after attending a party rally and stopped at Kukshi town where local Congress workers welcomed them.
After they left, activists belonging to various saffron outfits staged protests and waved black flags at them.
In the melee, some of them pelted stones, police said.
The Congress leaders did not stop the vehicle at that point and sped away, the sources said.
Meanwhile, Dhar SP, Bhagwant Singh Chouhan said action will be taken against the culprits.
Ajay Singh said ruling BJP was unable to come to terms with the support Congress was getting in the state and was, therefore was indulging in such acts.
He alleged BJP/RSS workers attacked the vehicle and police had prior knowledge of it but remained a mute spectator.
Digvijay Singh served as Madhya Pradesh`s chief minister from December 1993 to December 2003.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?