Digvijay slams Modi`s iron collection drive for Patel`s statue
Indore: Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Sunday attacked Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for launching a drive to collect iron from villages across the country for constructing a grand statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, known as the `Iron Man of India`.
"BJP had earlier launched a drive to collect bricks and sought donations for the construction of Ram temple at Ayodhya, but later sold them. Now they will collect iron pieces from across the country and sell it too," Singh told reporters.
He said that Sardar Patel had banned the RSS after the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi, "even as the BJP has launched a drive to collect iron in his name".
The senior Congress leader criticised the saffron party saying, "though faces and slogans have changed in BJP, the party`s way of duping people and collecting money from them in the name of religion has not changed."
The Congress leader also raised question over the sequence of happenings in BJP, including Modi`s appointment as campaign committee chief and veteran BJP leader L K Advani`s resignation.
"I am not able to understand how the same persons suddenly became social workers in the eyes of Advani, whom he had earlier accused of indulging in fulfilling their own vested interests," Singh said.
He also blamed the BJP for creating hurdles in the passage of important bills of public interest in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla