Doctors remove arrowhead from tribal`s chest after 40 years in MP
Indore: Doctors at Maharaja Yashwantrao Hospital here on Saturday removed after operation an iron arrowhead lodged in the chest of a 55-year-old tribal man for the last forty years.
Mansinh, who lives in Alirajpur district of Madhya Pradesh, told the doctors that he was shot with the arrow during a quarrel four decades ago, when he was about 15 years old.
The wooden shaft of the arrow was pulled out afterwards (and the wound was treated with traditional herbal medicines), but the iron arrowhead remained inside.
It gave him no trouble until recently when he complained of pain in the chest. X-ray image revealed the iron object inside the left side of chest, so local doctors sent him to MY Hospital.
Dr Sumit Shukla, an associate professor at Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Hospital, said it was nothing short of a wonder that the iron piece - about 4 inches in length - caused no infection all these years.
A team of seven doctors, consisting of Dr Ankur Maheshwari, Dr Sonia Mojej and Siddharth Dubey and others performed the operation which lasted three hours.
Mansinh was doing well and would be discharged from the hospital within a week, Dr Shukla said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family