Driver, accomplice arrested in IIM professor murder case
Indore: The driver of slain professor of
Indian Institute of Management, Indore, Amrita Pancholi was
arrested Tuesday on the charge of killing her while his
accomplice apprehended for abetting the murder.
The driver Anil Patel confessed to the murder of Pancholi
as Amrita refused to reveal her ATM card`s PIN number to him,
following which he repeatedly stabbed her, Inspector General
(IG) Indore Range Sanjay Rana told reporters.
Another accused arrested with Patel was identified as
Bhavesh Soni who aided and abetted him in the crime, the IG
Patel told the police that he came to know that there
is a lot of money in Pacholi`s account and he decided to steal
it along with Soni, according to Rana.
The driver is known to Pancholi and he used to take
care of minor repairs of her car, police said.
On December 17, the day professor was murdered, Patel
went to her place for some work relating to her car and
Pancholi gave him the keys of her house and asked him to lock
However, he left the rear door of the house open and
after Pancholi went for some work in the campus he got inside
from that door and hid inside the house, Rana said.
When Amrita returned and was resting in her room, he took
away her purse which had her ATM card and later asked her to
reveal its PIN number but she refused, the IG said.
Patel kept asking her about the PIN number and on every
refusal stabbed her all along her body, following which she
died, the IG said.
The driver stabbed her over a dozen times causing
grievous injuries, Rana said.
Since police were aware that the driver used to visit the
professor`s house, he was quizzed by the police and on giving
contradictory statement police nabbed him.
Besides, police also came to know about them through
mobile phones of Pancholi which was taken away by them.
Both of them were arrested from Annapurna area of Indore,
the IG added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal