EC notice to MP Cabinet Minister for paid news
New Delhi: The Election Commission has issued a showcause notice for disqualification to Madhya Pradesh minister Narottam Mishra on alleged charges of incorrect statement of election expenditure incurred on news items in four dailies.
EC sources said explanation has been sought from Mishra, a Cabinet Minister for Public Health and Family Welfare, Housing, Parliamentary Affairs and Law, for expenses made by him during the 2008 Assembly elections.
The EC had conducted an investigation in this case after the losing candidate petitioned the Commission in this regard, and the EC found that articles related to Mishra had appeared in four newspapers of the state which were not a true account of his expenses, they said.
Mishra is an MLA from Datia.
The EC, in 2011, had disqualified a woman MLA from Uttar Pradesh under the provisions of the Representation of the People Act and the `paid news` syndrome category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble