`Efforts made to suppress facts soon after Bhopal Gas Tragedy`
Bhopal: Soon after the Bhopal gas disaster in December 1984, efforts were made to suppress research reports to dilute the magnitude of the incident, claims a doctor who was posted as a child specialist at a state-run hospital here when the tragedy occurred.
In his latest book, `25 years of Gas Tragedy and untold truth`, Dr NR Bhandari has said that the real problems of the gas victims were suppressed by bureaucrats to ensure that
victims did not get appropriate compensation.
"From Bhopal to New Delhi, research reports were submitted in a way to show that the magnitude of the disaster was not that high," said the retired doctor.
He said the then state Health Secretary Ishwar Das wanted to do things in his own way, when the Centre sent Rs one crore for the purchase of equipment.
Bhandari claimed he was removed from the project after he refused to sign a tender for equipments.
He said he then approached the then Leader of Opposition in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Sunderlal Patwa, following which the matter was raised in the House and the Opposition members staged a walkout.
"Because of the opposition pressure, the then Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Moti Lal Vora decided to call in fresh tenders," Bhandari said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know