Eight arrested in Betul tribal woman`s murder case
Betul: In a breakthrough in the case of
murder of a tribal woman following her refusal to withdraw
complaint against her daughter`s rapists, police on Wednesday
arrested eight persons.
The arrested persons were identified as Montu alias
Mukesh Yadav, Ramcharan, Rani, Raju Gouli, Bantu Gouli,
Praveen, Rajesh Kirar and Ganesh, said Inspector General (IG)
The woman, Imarti Bai, was shot dead by Montu Yadav as
she refused to withdraw the complaint against his wife and
others in the case.
Yadav told reporters today that he killed Imarti Bai as
she had slandered his wife, Rani, which led to Rani`s arrest.
Another accused, Rajesh, alleged that the rape victim
had earlier demanded Rs two lakh, and when he refused to pay
her, she lodged the rape complaint against him.
The State Government has transferred Betul SP, B S
Chouhan, while SC/ST Police Station In-charge, DSP Satish
Chandra Mishra, Sub-Inspector R Bisare, and Head Constable,
Surendra Shukla have been suspended on the charges of
Imarti Bai had reported to the police that she was being
threatened by the accused and feared for her life, but police
did not intervene. She was shot dead at her house on March 23.
Her daughter had been allegedly abducted and raped on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’