Eight arrested in Betul tribal woman`s murder case
Betul: In a breakthrough in the case of
murder of a tribal woman following her refusal to withdraw
complaint against her daughter`s rapists, police on Wednesday
arrested eight persons.
The arrested persons were identified as Montu alias
Mukesh Yadav, Ramcharan, Rani, Raju Gouli, Bantu Gouli,
Praveen, Rajesh Kirar and Ganesh, said Inspector General (IG)
The woman, Imarti Bai, was shot dead by Montu Yadav as
she refused to withdraw the complaint against his wife and
others in the case.
Yadav told reporters today that he killed Imarti Bai as
she had slandered his wife, Rani, which led to Rani`s arrest.
Another accused, Rajesh, alleged that the rape victim
had earlier demanded Rs two lakh, and when he refused to pay
her, she lodged the rape complaint against him.
The State Government has transferred Betul SP, B S
Chouhan, while SC/ST Police Station In-charge, DSP Satish
Chandra Mishra, Sub-Inspector R Bisare, and Head Constable,
Surendra Shukla have been suspended on the charges of
Imarti Bai had reported to the police that she was being
threatened by the accused and feared for her life, but police
did not intervene. She was shot dead at her house on March 23.
Her daughter had been allegedly abducted and raped on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday