Election Commission spikes bizarre Congress demand to `hide` lotus ponds
Bhopal: In a bizarre demand, the opposition Congress in Madhya Pradesh has asked the Election Commission to "hide" lotus ponds in Mahakoshal, Malwa and Bundelkhand regions of the state so that voters are not unfairly drawn to the BJP symbol.
The Congress demand was rejected outright by the MP Chief Electoral Officer, Jaideep Govind who said that it was "neither practical nor feasible".
Govind told a press conference that these lotuses had been standing in water bodies for a long time and as such they do not have anything to do with the elections.
In its complaint, Congress demanded a level-playing field with the BJP and sought suitable directions to "hide all ponds" where lotus is cultivated and sold.
Reacting sharply, BJP spokesman Vishwas Sarang said that the Congress demand showed the party`s mental bankruptcy.
By this yardstick, people should be asked to cover their hands as it is the symbol of the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave