Election Commission spikes bizarre Congress demand to `hide` lotus ponds
Bhopal: In a bizarre demand, the opposition Congress in Madhya Pradesh has asked the Election Commission to "hide" lotus ponds in Mahakoshal, Malwa and Bundelkhand regions of the state so that voters are not unfairly drawn to the BJP symbol.
The Congress demand was rejected outright by the MP Chief Electoral Officer, Jaideep Govind who said that it was "neither practical nor feasible".
Govind told a press conference that these lotuses had been standing in water bodies for a long time and as such they do not have anything to do with the elections.
In its complaint, Congress demanded a level-playing field with the BJP and sought suitable directions to "hide all ponds" where lotus is cultivated and sold.
Reacting sharply, BJP spokesman Vishwas Sarang said that the Congress demand showed the party`s mental bankruptcy.
By this yardstick, people should be asked to cover their hands as it is the symbol of the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok