Election Commission spikes bizarre Congress demand to `hide` lotus ponds
Bhopal: In a bizarre demand, the opposition Congress in Madhya Pradesh has asked the Election Commission to "hide" lotus ponds in Mahakoshal, Malwa and Bundelkhand regions of the state so that voters are not unfairly drawn to the BJP symbol.
The Congress demand was rejected outright by the MP Chief Electoral Officer, Jaideep Govind who said that it was "neither practical nor feasible".
Govind told a press conference that these lotuses had been standing in water bodies for a long time and as such they do not have anything to do with the elections.
In its complaint, Congress demanded a level-playing field with the BJP and sought suitable directions to "hide all ponds" where lotus is cultivated and sold.
Reacting sharply, BJP spokesman Vishwas Sarang said that the Congress demand showed the party`s mental bankruptcy.
By this yardstick, people should be asked to cover their hands as it is the symbol of the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch