Ex-BJP leader`s son, 13 others get double lifer for gang-rape
Indore: The son of a former BJP councillor was among 14 persons sentenced to double life imprisonment by a local court today for gang-rape of two teenage girls at Betma in the district last year.
Of 16 persons accused in the case, two are minors and they are being tried by a juvenile court.
Additional Sessions Judge A K Singh sentenced the 14 accused to double life imprisonment after convicting them under section 376 of IPC (rape) and other related sections on the basis of testimony given by ten witness in the case.
Among the convicted are Vikas Bharti (22), the son of the then BJP councillor of Betma Nagar Panchayat Rajani Bharti. She was expelled from the party after Vikas was arrested in connection with the case.
According to the prosecution, 16 persons had gang-raped two teenage cousins at Betma, about 35 km from here, on February 10 last year.
Prosecution lawyer Jyoti Tomar said the accused had also made an MMS clip of the crime to blackmail the victims and threatened to murder their family members if they disclosed the matter to anyone.
However, the girls confided in their family members and a case was registered against the accused on February 18 last year, Tomar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen