Ex-BJP leader`s son, 13 others get double lifer for gang-rape
Indore: The son of a former BJP councillor was among 14 persons sentenced to double life imprisonment by a local court today for gang-rape of two teenage girls at Betma in the district last year.
Of 16 persons accused in the case, two are minors and they are being tried by a juvenile court.
Additional Sessions Judge A K Singh sentenced the 14 accused to double life imprisonment after convicting them under section 376 of IPC (rape) and other related sections on the basis of testimony given by ten witness in the case.
Among the convicted are Vikas Bharti (22), the son of the then BJP councillor of Betma Nagar Panchayat Rajani Bharti. She was expelled from the party after Vikas was arrested in connection with the case.
According to the prosecution, 16 persons had gang-raped two teenage cousins at Betma, about 35 km from here, on February 10 last year.
Prosecution lawyer Jyoti Tomar said the accused had also made an MMS clip of the crime to blackmail the victims and threatened to murder their family members if they disclosed the matter to anyone.
However, the girls confided in their family members and a case was registered against the accused on February 18 last year, Tomar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'